June 15, 1955 - A 10' x 40' canvas panorama, showing the Saugatuck area as it was in the 1830s, was painted by members of the Saugatuck Douglas Art Club as their contribution to the Village's 125th anniversary.
October 11, 1955 - Club is addressed by Helen Corlett, who spoke about how to paint. May Francis Heath, taking minutes, wrote "Surely our Art Club is something to enjoy and of which to be proud and we see for it a future growth."
Winter of 1953-1954. Jean Goldsmith teaches painting and ceramics to several ladies in her home.
December 16, 1954 - The first regular monthly business meeting of the Saugatuck Douglas Art Club was held.
After the Home Town Art Exhibit's successful run upstairs at the Saugatuck Village Hall, local artist Nat Steinberg proposes in a letter to the Commercial Record that local artists continue to work together. An organizing meeting, briefly interrupted by a raccoon on the stairs, is held September 4, 1953 upstairs at the Village Hall and Jean Goldsmith, local potter, painter, and former school art teacher, is elected the first president.
Kit Lane's Painting the Town: A History of Art in Saugatuck and Douglas tells us "In 1930 many of the professional artists and a few amateurs of the area joined together to form the Saugatuck Art Association, which opened its own gallery for local artists and guest artists in the upper rooms of the Saugatuck Village Hall in July of 1931." This gallery featured many artists who worked in Saugatuck and the area, such as Frederick Fursman, Carl and Christiana Hoerman, Cora Bliss Taylor, Albert Krehbiel, and Olive Williams.
Jane Van Dis recently gave the Saugatuck Douglas Art Club the register that the Association offered to its visitors to sign from 1931 through 1936.
These register pages, from July 12, 1934 through July 15, 1934, feature signatures of Frederick Fursman, Fred Stearns, Isobel and Edgar Rupprecht, Thomas Eddy Tallmadge, Christiana Hoerman and Carl Hoerman.